Monday, 30 September 2013

in season and out of season

Hey sweet friends, the O's are back to Moose Factory!

We had an incredible time in Toronto, Josh's eye surgery went SO well and we even witnessed a miracle!

Before the trip I prayed that it would be a refreshing time, that I would come home with a renewed mind (which I VERY much needed at the time) and excitement for our ministry here.

Our time in Toronto was very FULL, Josh and I love to make friends everywhere we go and even manage to make ourselves busy in cities we've only ever been to together once.

When it came time to leave Toronto I had so many interesting emotions going on...the Lord really used this trip to teach me, I just hadn't had time to sort everything out.

On the 5 hour train ride home last Tuesday though I had the time, and I realized just how refreshed I was and that my mind had truly been renewed. 

Typically I feel that I need a vacation after my vacation...anyone else?

Not this time though.

 I felt renewed in every sense, and an overwhelming sense of peace.

Though I didn't feel the need for a vacation, I did feel the need to collapse in my bed after the long day of travel.

So collapse we did at 10 PM
only to get a phone call at 11:15 PM asking us to go to a Church members house who was on the verge of losing his son-in-law to sickness. We visited, we prayed, we believed, and we witnessed a miracle as the doctors said he wouldn't make it through the night, and 5 days later he is awake, getting better, and has just accepted the Lord. PRAISE THE LORD.

The next morning we had a man come over who is a recovering drug addict and alcoholic, who still struggles and relapses from time to time. We have grown to love this man and find great joy investing into him. We spoke truth and encouraged him and enjoyed some coffee around my kitchen table as he shared his heart too.

Later that night we went to Church and had a few of our dear grade 9 girls come over afterward. We love them so much and count it such a blessing that they desire to spend time with us!

The following night we went to the Chapel and after a few minutes of being there a drunk man stumbled in. We sat and chatted with for over an hour, he even went home at one point to get his guitar so he could play for us, and he came back and played and talked more. We invited him and his girlfriend over for dinner the next evening, they accepted (we made sure to get in touch with them the next day when he was sober), but they didn't show. We pray that the Lord will allow us to meet with this guy again and share our hearts more.

Friday, we had visitor after visitor, a friend, a widow...phone calls from people we have the honor of discipling asking awesome questions to know Jesus more.

It just felt like boom boom boom after we got home, and I thought to myself on Saturday morning...wow, we didn't know that ALL those opportunities to minister would come up so many times in such a short span of time...we MUST be ready "in season and out of season."

When I go to Bible Study I am prepared to love, encourage, minister....but am I ready if someone calls me at 11 PM at night? (and I LOVE my sleep...too much...the Lord is working there too. AH)

Am I ready to speak Truth and life to a friend if she spontaneously calls? Do I know the Scripture?

"Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage with great patience and careful instruction."
2 Timothy 4:2

Am I ready? 

The answer is no, I'm not always prepared, but have been feeling extra challenged these last few days. 

I don't spend time with the Lord in the morning to check it off my list, I spend time with him because I love Him, I want to cultivate our relationship, I want to know Him, I want to grow, and I want to be prepared in EVERY season to share Him with others, to speak Truth to others, to know the TRUTH myself so I can lovingly correct, rebuke and encourage others with great patience and careful instruction.

We are unbelievably honored and grateful that the Lord is continually creating these Divine appointments for us to love His people. And we want to be ready. 

In Mark 12:24 Jesus says to the Sadducees who are mocking him, "Are you not in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God?"

I don't want this to be a reason I am in error. I will mess up, I'm imperfect, but I want to KNOW His word. I want to confidently share Christ and the power held in His Word.

I write this to encourage and challenge you and to challenge myself and hold myself accountable. 

Don't leave the correction, rebuking, and encouragement up to the PHD counselors, we are ALL to be counselors of a sort and have the power and knowledge to be able to do so with great patience and careful instruction BECAUSE of His Word! We are equipped because He has given us what we need to be equipped.

{"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."}
2 Timothy 3:16
AMEN!

<3

Kristen




2 comments:

  1. Wow, what an amazing work God is doing! What a blessing that boy accepted the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is AMAZING! I'm so glad you two are right where God wants you and creating a space of warmth and light to all who need it on the island:) YOU are both amazing! Love ya, Katie

    ReplyDelete

You just made my day brighter! Thank you!