Monday, 24 June 2013

tiny cancer, BIG GOD




My parents skyped me Friday to tell me that my mom has cancer.
She has stage 2 rectal cancer and will have to undergo chemo and radiation, as well as surgery.

In this week and a half since I found out, God has really been working.

For months and months I have been praying specific things for my family and I truly believe the Lord is going to use this to bring those things into fruition.

One thing that I keep on thinking about is that GOD IS NOT SURPRISED by these things.

God isn't surprised that my mom has cancer.

God isn't surprised when you lose someone you love.

God isn't surprised when anything devastating happens.

He already knew this would happen, and we can't see His whole plan!

I do pray that my mom will be fully healed, of course, but if the Lord so chose not to heal my mom, He wouldn't be surprised, and I would have to trust Him.

I know so much of my strength in this comes from my mom, she's amazing.

She feels honored that the Lord would trust her with this cancer.

what?!?!

She doesn't have one ounce of negativity toward this, but is looking to the Lord, expecting Him to do big things in this.

What a great example to me.

Josh and I watched a sermon (watch it by clicking this!!!) that really blew me away.

It encouraged us to LOVE God soooo much that we hold everything in this world with OPEN hands.

To be SO in love with Jesus that everything else pales in comparison.
I need to love my Jesus more than I love my mama. ("gasp!" my point, exactly)
I need to love my Jesus more than I love MY plans and how I think life should go.

I want this.

Because in my plans, my mom doesn't get cancer. 
She doesn't go through pain, and sickness and discomfort.
My family doesn't hurt from watching my mom hurt.
That's my plan.

But in this, God is still SOOO good, and really, I desire His plan.

That doesn't mean we can't be sad when sad things happen, but as believers we should have an overwhelming joy that comes from loving Jesus and knowing that He knows what He's doing!!! We should step back with gratitude and think, wow, what is God's plan in this??

I am beyond blessed that my mom gets this!
I can't imagine how many people she will be able to bless through this process.

We still would love your prayers.
Prayers for continual comfort and peace.

Prayers that my mom, and my family could be used to share the love of Jesus with people in this time.

Prayers that the Lord would use this to work deeply in my family.
Prayers that the Lord would keep me strong being so far away and unable to hug my mama.

Prayers for safety as my parents fly to Chicago on Wednesday to go to Cancer Treatment Centers of America.

Thank you so very much.
 Please trust Jesus. Please know His plan is perfect. Please cling to Him in your times of trouble. 
Rest in Him. Cry to Him. 
Don't become bitter, because we can't see the whole picture, and we never will be able to, this side of Heaven.

{"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the Lord. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."}
Isaiah 55:8-9 

<3 Kristen


6 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear this news Kristen, but your attitude and your Mom's attitude is truly amazing! Cancer is a terrible thing, but your are so right...God is SO MUCH BIGGER than cancer or any other problems we may face. Praying for you. Praying for your family. Love you sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen,
    I just saw that you had another post.... Ahhhhhh, my heart for your heart. You are right, God is not surprised and he is a BIG BIG God. Believe it or not, I am leaving in ten minutes to have dinner with your mama and some of the soul sister moms.
    Thank you for sharing this. I am praying for you all. I love love love you.
    I will try to catch you on Skype later this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, sweet one. I just wanted you to know that I forwarded this blog post to my Wednesday Bible study gals (now numbering 19!) and my church Bible Study leaders (another 10 gals). Here are a couple of their comments:
    - Sandy: Wow that blessed me big. You and your family's love for Jesus
    - Nancy: Thank you for sharing this touching blog, Susan. Your niece certainly sounds like she has the gift of faith!!!!!
    - Carol: Wow...and.....beautifully worded
    - Pat: That gets me right in my gut! (no pun intended!) Her attitude is a model to all of us. Thank you for sharing it with us. (This woman has had breast cancer & her husband has congestive heart disease & is a transplant patient &...&...)
    Love you sweeties!! Aunt Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry your family is having to go through this. Your mom (and all of you!) will definitely be in my prayers. It's marvelous that we have such a good God and he is a healer and a comforter. Maybe there won't be physical healing but He will be keeping your hearts and spirits in His hands!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You, my best friend, are absolutely incredible!! I love your faith and love for God! You are a constant example to me. I know God is going to use this to bless so many people.. This blog is already started the process. I love the way you trust His ways are perfect. I will be here to pray, weep, and rejoice all through this process! Love you and momma Ramona so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so sorry to hear about your mother. Boy has God been ministering to you through it all, though! He is a good God and I pray that He will use this for good in all of you family. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete

You just made my day brighter! Thank you!