Thursday, 17 January 2013

Thankful Thursday :: Homemaker edition

Hey everyone!

Thanks for your sweet words, texts, and emails!

I am feeling MUCH better, just praying my husband doesn't catch anything!

So just like every week when I read One Thousand Gifts, 

I'm moved. 
Shaken.
Encouraged.
Challenged.

And

I don't know how to put all of that into words!

Every week I've really enjoyed reading the other girls posts and seeing how intimate the Lord is to teach us each something so different. 
Though we are in different places in life, the Lord teaches us right where we are at.

And this week He did just that for me.


My mom was mostly a stay at home mom when my 3 siblings and I were growing up.
She once, when I was in 3rd or 4th grade, went to work for some company, but after crying and crying from going to After School PRISON, she quit her job and I had my mommy back! 

Because I grew up having my mom home, I always desired that for myself, and for my family.

When we moved to Moose Factory I found that I was in an awkward spot.
During the Summer we were so busy but once the kids went back to school I found that I had quite a bit of time on my hands during the day.

For Joshua, this was necessary, as he puts in over 30 hours a week studying to preach.
For me though, I didn't know what to do.
I felt like the Lord was beginning to teach me about homemaking through different women in the community and I decided to see this time as an absolute blessing to learn how to be a homemaker.

It can all feel so insignificant at times.
Being with the kids and loving on them is rewarded with every smile, but the dirty dishes don't smile once they're clean, and the floor gives me no thanks.

Though I took away many things from this weeks reading in Chapter 10, what struck me most was this:
"This life of washing dishes, of domestic routine, it can be something wholly different. This life of rote work, it is itself public work, a public serving even this scrubbing of pans- and thus, if done unto God, the mundane work can become the living liturgy of the Last Supper. I could become the blessing, live the liturgy! ...When service is unto people, the bones can grow weary, the frustration deep...But when Christ is at the center, when dishes, laundry, work is my song of thanks to Him, joy rains. Passionately serving Christ alone makes us the loving servant to all."
(page 194)

Of course I know and love that Colossians 3:23 tells me not to work unto men, but unto the Lord, but something caught my eye in this chapter.

Dorothy Sayers says, 
"Whenever man is made the center of things, he becomes the storm-center of trouble. The moment you think of serving people, you begin to have a notion that other people owe you something for your pains...You will begin to bargain for reward to angle for applause." and Ann says in response to this, "When the laundry is for the dozen arms of children or the dozen legs, it's true, I think I'm due some appreciation."
(page 194)    

This all truly challenged me.

So much of what we have to do in life IS mundane. 
But I want to find joy in giving of myself.
I want to serve the Lord and not look for a thank you, but be grateful that I can thank the Lord through my work.

"God extravagantly pays back everything we give away and exactly in the currency that is not of this world but the one we yearn for: Joy in Him."

"He calls us to serve, and it is Him whom we serve, but He, very God, kneels down to serve us as we serve."
 
(page 197)

  What a great outlook. 
What a blessed truth.
  
& for me what a blessing to read on the day I have to get back to business after being sick for so long. 

I will, by the Lord's grace, work with thanksgiving on my piles of laundry, dirty dishes, and dusty side tables.

"I give happy thanks for the daily mess with a smile a mile wide, because this is again my chance to wholeheartedly serve God, to do full-bodied eucharisteo with the hands and the heart and the lips. I can count each task a gift, pure eucharisteo. Grace! This work- the thousand endless jobs- they each give the opportunity for one to become the gift, a thousand times over!"
(page 200)   

& this week I am OH so thankful for:
1) our internet going out for 4 days and the lovely break from internet and technology, glad to have it back now too!
2) The Explicit Gospel by Matt Chandler, it has been really opening my eyes and challenging me with week.
3) FINALLY, after a million failed attempts, I made a very successful pizza! We had our (super) Canadian friend over for some barbecue chicken pizza and he claims it's the best pizza crust he's ever had! WHOA! Thanks Zach! I was literally praying over my pizza dough as I was making it. Ever crazy, me! Thank you, Jesus!
4) a sweets fast! Josh and I indulged WAY too much this Holiday season because honestly, what more is there to do when it's -25 F out with -45 windchill! Exactly! So we are ridding ourselves of all junk and sweets until my birthday, February 5! We can do it!!!!
5) Halley's Bible Handbook. This week I've been digging into Halley's before reading my bible and it has been really awesome! 
6) Smoothies! We usually don't buy frozen fruit because y'all wouldn't BELIEVE how much it is here, but, since we aren't eating any junk, I talked Joshy into buying it! :)
7) My teepee TREE. Now that it's January 17th I took the "Christmas" out of the name, but it still looks exactly the same. I love it so much. I'm never taking it down.
8) My pioneer woman cookbooks. I love them so much and claiming that they are the BEST cookbooks EVER!!! I know Allison would agree! :)
9) Memorizing a new verse! Psalm 4:8!
10) New friendships and 15 year old friendships! Just so blessed that the Lord has given me great friends.

Have a phenomenal weekend friends!!!

Make sure you check out the other girls Thankful Thursday posts:

Xo 
Kristen

"I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety."
Psalm 4:8

1 comment:

  1. Love this sweet girl! Had so much fun reading it:) You are such a blessing. and OMG! how do you EVEN deal with -45 degree? Holy Crap I sat here for like 5 minutes trying to imagine what that would even feel like and all I could come up with is death. Does it feel like you are going to die? hahahha! love you!

    ReplyDelete

You just made my day brighter! Thank you!