Thursday, 22 November 2012

Thankful Thursday - One Thousand Gifts 3

Today is hard.
I want to be thankful today, but if I'm being completely honest, I'm struggling.
 It is a fight today.

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite Holidays, tied with Christmas.
I love everything about this time of year.
I love the family, friends, smells, food, traditions, EVERYTHING.

Today, being a missionary in a different country is hard.
Today looking at instagram and twitter make me sad.
Today in Moose Factory, life is going on like normal, because today isn't a Holiday in Canada.

Today I turned on the Macy's day parade and realized that was a big mistake.
Today, yes, I am being a baby, but my husband said I could, so that's good.

Today, I would love to be in Georgia with my family. 
Standing on chairs and making a scene because that's the role I play in my family.
The loud obnoxious one that makes everyone laugh.

EVEN SO,
It is well with my soul.

"Gratitude bestows reverence, allowing us to encounter everyday epiphanies, those transcendent moments of awe that change forever how we experience life and the world."
-Sarah Ban Breathnach

In chapter 3 of Ann Voskamp's 1000 Gifts, she discovered something that would change her life forever.
She discovered real thankfulness.
She discovered her list.

She found little things throughout her day as simple as having mail in the mailbox, and she chose to be thankful.

I'm so grateful for these little reminders.
I am choosing to open my eyes to thankfulness.
To find it in everything.

Today, I am grateful for:
1) Being EXACTLY where the Lord has called me to be
2) Being married to a man who is sensitive and understanding
3) Sharing Jesus as my "full time" job
4) A bed to sleep in, a cabinet/fridge full of food, and heat to warm my house
5) Family back home that love and miss us dearly
6) The accountability in my relationship with the Lord through leading the women in my church
7) Talking to my Grandma in California on the phone
8) This text I just got from my sister: "Happy Thanksgiving! I just danced around the living room with dad! That was very YOU like!" Indeed, it is very ME like.
9) Friends that the Lord gave us in Moose Factory whom I will be cooking an American Thanksgiving dinner for tomorrow evening.
10) the wonderful life I've been blessed with and all the amazing memories I've had. Many people don't look forward to the Holidays because they don't have good memories, I'm blessed with an amazing family and upbringing. 

Thank you, Lord!!!

 

 Allison 
                     & especially thinking of Tara today as she is away from family too!

Have a blessed day friend's and a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Xo Kristen

4 comments:

  1. You are amazing Kristen! I'm glad your husband is allowing you to pout a little bit because I can't imagine the sacrifices you two are making, but all for a bigger and better purpose. You truly are an inspiration. Happy Thanksgiving friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Allison! I sometimes get way too hard on myself but am learning that it's okay to get sad at times like this. The Lord carries me through and makes it much better than I expected. Thanks so much for the encouragement! Means the world!

      Delete
  2. I was thinking about you all day on Thanksgiving (however haven't done much on my computer till now!). You are amazing, and I LOVE the thanksgiving you had/have in your heart! I admire you so much. And YES, you are where God has you!!! love Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this sweet post and so glad i found your blog! xox

    ReplyDelete

You just made my day brighter! Thank you!