Tuesday, 9 October 2012

best of both worlds: apple crisp edition

Yesterday was Canadian Thanksgiving.

It came at a good time for two reasons:
1)I've just been overwhelmed with Thanksgiving lately and am glad to have had a whole Holiday to celebrate all that I'm thankful for (even though I can do that everyday anyways :)) I'm even happier that I get TWO Thanksgiving's to celebrate, even if we'll be the only one's celebrating here at the end of November.
2)If there has to be cold weather, I feel like I at least deserve a Holiday to go along with it.

Yesterday we were invited to a friends house for Thanksgiving dinner and I decided to make a super easy and delicious Apple Crisp to bring along.
As I was peeling the apples and throwing the skin in the garbage I stopped and tried to think how I could use the rest of the apple skins. 
Then it hit me.

stove top potpourri

Obviously I had to google how to spell potpourri. 

I don't know about you but I totally associate certain scents with Fall and Fall with certain scents.
I am SUCH a scent person.
I love having Fall and Christmas smelling candles to truly bring in the season.

I have found that stove top potpourri is such a phenomenal and esentially FREE way to get your entire house to smell like the season!

So if at anytime this Holiday season you find yourself making an Apple Pie or Apple Crisp or anything with apples that need to be peeled, WAIT, don't throw them away!!! 

Here's what I did (easiest thing evverrrrr):


1)Took the peelings and cores of about 6 apples

2)Filled a pot with about 3 cups of water



3) Added about a half a teaspoon of Cloves, 1 teaspoon of Cinnamon and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract

4)Dumped the apple peelings and core, the cloves, the cinnamon and the vanilla all in the pot

5) I let it come to a boil and then just let it simmer for hours and hours. 

YUMMMM.

Your whole house will smell like an apple pie!

You can obviously change those ingredients or add what you like. I once used some nutmeg and found that to be way too strong of a smell that I just don't love. If you love nutmeg, then you should definitely use it because that scent really carries! 


You'll have to refill the water from time to time because some evaporates.

At the end of the day you can refrigerate it and then put it back on the next day, possibly needing to add a little more of the spices.

I would use the same mixture for no more than 2 days, I think the scent starts to come out of the apples by then. You could always save your extra apple peelings in the freezer to keep the scent and add them in.



The best of both worlds!!!



Have a phenomenal Tuesday y'all!!!

Therefore as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe youselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
Colossians 3:12-14

3 comments:

  1. oooohhhhhh I'm going to try this! What a GREAT idea:) Thanks for sharing darlin!! love katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm that looks so good!
    Happy Thanksgiving :)

    xo Jennifer

    http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to try this! What a fab idea! Thank you for sharing! Terribly adorable photo of you and your cutie- so sweet!

    ReplyDelete

You just made my day brighter! Thank you!