Tuesday, 2 October 2012

21 Day Challenge and Soup Recipe

Three years ago my mom and I decided to do a detox in which we took a shake for breakfast that was recommended by my mom's doctor friend along with other supplements.

We also ate very limited things, mostly fruits and veggies, but definitely no bread or pasta.
We did this for 21 days.

I had never felt so good in my life.
I had energy. I felt lighter. I felt better about myself.
It was awesome.

BUT, the 21 days came to an end, and convenience won over and bread and pasta were enjoyed once again.

Fast forward 3 years.
I often feel tired, and I could definitely better my diet, so I decided to take another stab at another detox, just modified.

My husband and I are going 21 days without bread, pasta and sweets or blatantly junk food.
We aren't doing any shake or supplements, just cutting out certain foods.

This is particularly hard for me because my typical day meal plan looks like this:
Breakfast: bagel (though the bagels we get are packed with nuts and seeds, it's still bread)
lunch: Sandwich
Dinner: Usually a meat, veggie, changes daily

I'm not a big snacker, but eat wayyyy tooo much bread.

We have been at this for 1 week now, and my meals this past week look like this:

Breakfast: Oatmeal or yogurt with a banana
Lunch: Omelet with orange pepper and brocolli! YUM
Dinner: Chicken and veggie

Snacks: Clementines, grapes

After being at this for a few days, completely forgetting about our diet change, I said to Joshua, "I have so much energy today for some reason!"

Then it hit us.

It's amazing how much bread slows a person down.
Of course in moderation it's fine for most, but I feel so much better without it in my body.
My energy is increasing daily, and I'm SO thankful!

So, I'm sure after these 21 days I will eat bread sometimes, but this little break from it really has me rethinking how often I should take it in. 

We made a soup last week that was INCREDIBLE and was completely in line with what we can eat.
I threw it together based off the things I know I love and had no clue how it would turn out.
But when we took one bite, all we could do was stare at each other and laugh because it was THAT good.

ANYWAY, here it is:

If you don't like Mexican food, this isn't the soup for you, I'm borderline obsessed with Mexican food, so mmmm, in love.

via


Ingredients:
2 Cups of Chicken Broth
about 3-4 chicken breasts
1 package of reduced sodium taco seasoning(I added this to kind of get a base for flavor)
1 796 mL Diced Tomatoes (the largest can of diced tomatoes)
1 LARGE can of black beans 19 Ounces (may take 2 smaller cans)
1 LARGE can of mixed beans 19 Ounces (mine included: red kidney beans, chick peas, Romano beans, Black-eyed pea)
1 to 2 Tablespoons of Chili powder (I eyeballed all of my spices)
1 Tablespoon of Cumin
1/2 teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper (If you don't like spice, you may want to omit this)
1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper (if you don't like spice, you may want to omit this)
1 Jalapeno Pepper chopped with seeds (Same as above. this girl likes some heat, but I promise after simmering for so long it's not TOO hot because my hubs isn't a fan of too much heat :))

I LITERALLY just rinsed the beans and stuck ALL of the ingredients above in my crock pot (thawed chicken) on low for 6-7 hours.

It was SO easy and SO delicious and healthy!
Of course you can add veggies like corn or red/green pepper to it, and I may try new things as we go, but for sure as a basic soup, this is DELISH!

I am the type of person that doesn't take one bite of soup withOUT a chip or cracker.
Literally, I don't use a spoon when I eat soup or chili, I MUST use some CARB.
BUT, I ate TWO whole bowls of this soup without any need for those unnecessary carbs because it was that yummy and also VERY hardy and filling!


I'll keep y'all posted on how the rest of the 21 days go!
Have a great week! :)


 Have I mentioned I love my husband! :) I do!

"Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on compassion, kindness, humility, meekness and patience."
Colossians 3:12

3 comments:

  1. May try to do this! I've noticed that when my husband is away (we're military) I eat a lot better & loose weight but when he comes home I go back to my old ways bc he's picky! Idk what to do! Haha. It also sucks cuz I'm a chef & have to try everything multiple times to get the consistency & such right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw that is so tough!!! That's soooo cool you're a chef!!! I would eat everything! For me I learn if I just cut things out a little at a time it's much easier for me! I've been weening off of sweets and it's not fun! :)

      Delete
  2. You are so so cute my dearest!

    Secondly, this past year I had to cut gluten and dairy out of my diet, which basically took away all carbs. I felt SOOO much better! This past month, because of health reasons, i've had to just eat veggies, fruit, and meat, and it's amazing how clean my body feels! It's healing itself...nature is such good medicine!!!

    love Katie

    ReplyDelete

You just made my day brighter! Thank you!