Friday, 17 August 2012

forced creativity

My whole life I've wanted to be creative.
I've wanted to have an eye for things and make something beautiful out of the smallest or ugliest things.

So when we moved to Moose Factory and there were no thrift stores to go to,no Hobby Lobby or Michael's then I was finally forced to get creative.
Necessity definitely does breed innovation.

I'm going to share with y'all over time some things I've done in my house to make it a home.
Things that I couldn't buy so I've been forced to make, and how in the process have fallen in love with crafting and making things.

I love gallery walls, but my idea for a rustic beautiful wall of frames was thrown out the window when I moved to Moose Factory, or so I thought.

The dump in Moose Factory is now my new thrift store.
People throw perfectly good stuff there and all I have to do is give it a good clean and it's perfect.

Enter perfect wood.
On a trip to the dump we found beautiful molding that was PERFECT so I decided that I would make my own frames.

I am nowhere near a perfectionist, so this works for me.
In fact, I like things NOT to look perfect which brings the rustic feel.
I do understand that doing it this way, they may not be around forever, but for us personally and the fact that we may not even be able to bring them back to the States with us one day, it works for us!

So me and my wonderful helper, Alaina, sawed the wood to make the size of the frame we wanted and gave it the shape we wanted.

When i was finished, I used a staple gun to bind each side together, and put hot glue in the empty space.



As you can see here it is no where near perfect, but that's exactly how I love it. 
With this particular frame, I painted it white and then sanded it to give it the look I was going for.


I'm really happy with how it turned out.



This is my favorite frame. 
We built it the same way.



I painted the frame white and let it dry.
Then I VERY imperfectly placed tape on it in diagonal stripes and painted the green stripes.
When it was dry (nearly dry, i got anxious) I took the tape off.
Then I sanded it to let the white and even a little bit of the natural wood show through.


When I went to a yard sale I found 3 frames:



This frame was just perfect as is!

This frame I just painted white, then messily painted this coral color on top and sanded it a bit.


With this frame, I took my favorite yarn, and wove it around, using hot glue, until the whole thing was covered. 
I have never seen a frame like it, so I'm really happy with it.

So this is my current gallery wall:


It looks kinda lame in this picture which is depressing because it's AWESOME! It's my new fav part of our house and I always catch myself looking over at it!

I recently found 5 more frames at yard sales and still have a few more to build myself so I'll show y'all the progress of the wall as it happens!

Y'all have a great weekend!



7 comments:

  1. love this! can't wait to see more pics of it darlin! thanks for sharing...and YES that green stripped frame is definitely my favorite too! love Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an awesome idea!!! You ARE creative, this is amazing. Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love all the frames! so so so cute :)
    p.s. i'm your newest follower :)

    xo brie
    www.sophistifunkblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. GALLERY WAAAAAALLLLL!
    looks good, girl. love it. oh man that frame just makes me laugh so much! i love that you love it. i love it too. sweet imperfection

    ReplyDelete

You just made my day brighter! Thank you!